Saturday, September 26, 2009

Picasa 3.5

This photo management program was updated this week for Windows and Mac OS X and even Linux.  As a Windows user I was quite pleased with this program, however I was always bugged by the way that it didn’t quite follow folder structures that I already had created on my hard drive.  In later versions they addressed this but I still felt it was unwieldy in terms of the control over how you viewed those folders, and caused me to look for something that suited my needs better (I found this in Windows Live Photo Gallery).

As far as this updated release the main feature is the ability to automatically identify faces, which is very handy for searching for particular people.  Geo location is also included now, as well as an improved tagging interface—both of which add a lot of power to this program and add more value to the equation when comparing similar offerings.

One problem I did encounter is that my RAW files from my dSLR camera are still not fully supported it seems (they load but are darker than they should be).  I am using a Canon EOS Rebel T1i, which I should mention load and look fine in WLPG.

If you are already a Picasa user then this update is a must get.  If you’re looking to start better managing your photos it’s a fine choice but if you’re a Windows user I would also check out Windows Live Photo Gallery and see what better suits your preference.

Picasa Download   Windows Live Photo Gallery Download

No comments:

Post a Comment